LITTLE LEAGUE DIVISIONS
NOTE! On-time registration ends on New Year's Eve and A $50 LATE-FEE will be added to any registrations occurring in January or later!
Novato Little League North provides our community's youth an opportunity to learn and compete in America's pastime. Kids ages 5-13 living within (or attending a school within) the league's boundaries are eligible to participate. Generally speaking, this encompasses families living within the Sinaloa Middle School and Pleasant Valley, San Ramon and Rancho elementary school neighborhoods.
Players are separated into divisions (Tee-Ball, Rookies, Minors and Majors) based upon varying combinations of age and skill. See individual Division pages for more detail. This season, we will be fielding a team in the Intermediate Division, which will be determined by age (league-age 13 only) and a tryout.
Many factors go into determining the appropriate division for each player. These include age, previous experience and, very importantly, the draft. The draft moves in stages from Majors to Minors AAA to Minors AA. At each level, managers and coaches select eligible players to fill out their teams and remaining players are then available for the next level, with the remaining players assigned to a Rookies team. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE that both objective (age, previous season’s division, etc.) AND subjective (attitude, hustle, speed, capabilities, etc.) factors are taken into account during the draft, which WILL result in players of the same age playing in different divisions (e.g. 10-year-olds playing in both AAA and AA Minors). That said, there are certain draft rules that help ensure reasonable placement:
* All 12-year-olds are placed on Majors teams, unless extenuating circumstances (e.g. brand new to baseball or safety concerns) warrant a waiver.
* All 11-year-old 6th graders are placed on a Majors team, unless safety concerns and/or parental preference warrants placement on a AAA Minors team.
* All 10-year-old 5th graders who are not drafted in Majors will be placed on a AAA Minors team, again, subject to safety concerns or parental preference.
Note: Rookie and Tee-Ball teams are assembled by the League's Player Agents in an attempt to balance team sizes and skill levels. While you are welcome to request that we pair your player with another, there is no guarantee that it will be honored.
Tryouts will be held in mid/late January and are a MANDATORY part of the placement process for EVERY 8-12 year-old. Certain rules are in place that limit the placement and season position options for those players who miss tryouts.
Registration and Fees
Because player placement occurs after the draft, initial registration and fees are based upon each player’s league age, rather than expectations of playing in a certain division. League age is simply determined by how old your player will be on August 31, 2020. Fees are charged as follows:
5 and 6 year-olds $250
7 and 8 year-olds $300
9 and 10 year-olds $325
11 and 12 year-olds $350 13 year-olds $350
Equipment and Uniforms
- Uniform jerseys and hats will be supplied by the league.
- Practice dri-fit t-shirts will be provided for all AA/AAA and Majors players
- Each team will be provided:
- Bat(s) appropriate for the age of the players and level of play
- Pitcher’s safety “halo” hat insert
- Full set of catcher’s gear
- Practice and game balls
- Players will be required to supply their own:
- Uniform pants, belt and socks